Does your Access Database frequently getting crashed each time when you try to open up your report in it? You might be worrying why this issue is been arising or how to stop this Microsoft Access keeps crashing issue quickly.
Well, this particular post addresses such troubleshooting ways that works great to prevent Access database keeps crashing.
Since this afternoon – about 10 hours ago – MS Access 2016 crashes whenever I try to run a report. I worked on it before 10 o’clock without any problems. Then I switched my computer off for 2 hours. While switching it off, some updates were installed. When I switched it on just after 12, it started crashing. I have tried a large number of backups that have all functioned fine but to no avail. Anyone of the reports causes Access to crash.
Can anyone help? Please. I need to submit reports tonight still.
MS Access Database Crashing When Opening Reports:
Well the Access 2016 keep crashing issue is the most frequent and most frustrating issue faced by most of ms access application users. And this issue can encounter at anytime either during closing of Access 2010/2013 files or while working with reports.
Do you know why this happening? Or what’s the reason behind this frequent MS access application crashing?
What Are The Reasons For Access Database Crash?
The most common reasons for Access Database Crashes When Opening Report are as follows:
- Wrong or invalid code within the report can also make MSACCESS.EXE to terminate suddenly.
- Sometime conflicts between the anti-viruses programs that is running on the PC can also causes such Microsoft Access crashing.
- May be the report inside the database somehow get corrupted which causes it to crash while accessing.
How To Resolve The “Microsoft Access Keeps Crashing” Problem?
Starting with the simple solution, here is all that you can try to fix Access keeps crashing issue.
1# Decompile And Then Recompile The Database
You can also opt for decompiling and recompiling of the database. And you need to try the following steps for performing this.
- Make a shortcut which loads the database with “/decompile” switch.
- Keep pressing the Shift button when making a double tap on this shortcut to skip out runs and go straight to navigation window.
- After complete loading of the database, tap to the “Compact and Repair” option.
- Once again keep pressing the Shift again as the database reloads.
- It’s time to compile the code and save it.
After performing the complete task just check out whether the problem still persists or get resolved somehow.
2# Check Your System’s Memory Usage
If the Access database crashing while opening report is encountered on few specific PC’s only then it can be the issue of low memory space. So, just check out the memory space of your system before working on it.
3# Stop anti-virus program
For some duration at least stop your anti-virus program which you are using with MS Access. You can also close the internet connection while working with the access database in order to avoid the conflicting situation. After finishing up the complete work in your access database you can turn on your anti-virus back.
4# Remove Binary Data from Reports
If the problem of crashing is associated with any single report on different system and different users, then the reason can be the corrupt binary data or report within the report. To remove this binary data from such report, try the follow steps:
- Save faulting report in text format and then open it in your notepad.
- Delete the “Checksum=” line and remove the binary data. Check out for the lines having the words “Parameter = Begin” in the starting and word “End” at the end.
Delete all those lines from beginning to end. Also make deletion of the parameters like NameMap, PrtMip, PrtDevMode, PrtDevNames, PrtDevModeW, PrtDevNamesW etc.
- Now scroll down to the rest of file and identify VBA module code. If it is there, then delete it too.
- Now it’s time to Save the file and then load the report back into Access using the Application.LoadFromText option.
- Now execute the Decompile followed by a Compact & Repair after following the Recompile.
- After then open the report once more.
- Hopefully this time everything gets sorted out, if not then also need not to worry just try the next fixes.
5# Remove OLE Object Fields And Then Rebuild The Entire Database
If the report of the database contains images or other OLE objects fields then this can often causes issues like Access Crashing while opening reports. In case to store the image data, the best way is to store the filename and then save the actual images to a standard location. After doing this, rebuild the complete database from scratch. This will take more time but this will give your database a fresh start.
6# Import Database Objects Into A New Empty Database
Just check out which report is actually causing this Access Database keeps crashing issue by reading out the crash report or error log. After knowing that, make a backup of the access database file and then delete that report which is causing the report crashing. After then create a new empty copy of the database and import the entire objects from the old one into it. Recreate the report once again and check that if the problem still encounters.
7# Repair Corrupt/Damaged Access Database
If the entire mentioned techniques fail to work or when you don’t have such time to perform full database rebuild then repairing the access database using a competent automated solution is the best idea. In such case usage of Access Repair and recovery software is the best option to resolve this specific problem.
The advanced scanning and repair algorithms of this software tool, is just perfect to resolve damaged reports and other corruption issues or errors.
8# Remove MS Access Standalone Version
Microsoft access keeps crashing when two different version of the same software is been installed on system. This indicates that your system is facing resource utilization issue. Usually this problem occurs when you have installed any packed version of the software and after then you have installed a standalone version on over it. So, when the resource of your system are been shared across both the installed application software, this will generate unexpected issues like freezing or crashing.
So for this you just need to perform the following tasks:
- You need to uninstall the standalone version of MS Access 2010/2013/2016.
- Make reboot to your PC for removing out all the software traces permanently.
- Start up your MS Access application again and check whether it is stable in its operations or not.
9# MS Access Stop Working When Using Filters With Databases
Mainly this issue of Access database crashing arises when database is not from any trusted location. Because untrusted Access databases hinders the running of macros successfully and thus it results in the Access Database Crashing Windows 10.
- Make a check of all the references which are available in the VBA
- Also check all the updates for MS Access,whether it is properly installed on the PC and you are running it through Run as administrator option. To run this application from this option, make a right-click on MS Access > More > Run as administrator.
10# Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration
Another very common reason behind Access Database Crashing in Windows 10 is due to hardware acceleration problem. Well running the program when the hardware acceleration option is enabled can raise Access database crashing issue.
For disabling this option, at the time of using MS Access application. Follow down the steps:
- After opening up your MC Access interface, tap to the File > Options.
- Now within the General tab, choose the checkbox for Disable hardware graphics acceleration.
- At last tap to the OK option. After making all the changes make a reboot to your PC.
11# Databases Slowdown MS Access In Windows 10
Usage of numerous tables in single database and sometime switching from older version of Windows to newer one also causes poor Access database performance.
So here is how to resolve this issue:
- Go to the MS Access executable files location. Well you can find this MS Access folder in this two different locations:
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
- So open up this MS Access executable file’s properties and go to the Compatibility
- Within this Compatibility mode heading, choose the checkbox for Run this program in compatibility mode for.
- Choose the Windows 7 from the dropdown menu.
- Tap to the OK option and restart the computer.
12# Add Windows 10 Patch To Fix MS Access Crashing
Sometime Access database crashes in windows 10 without any reason; this might be due to loophole in Windows. This issue can be easily fixed just by using the recent updates. If you are still facing the problem then here is the workaround for you.
- Make a copy of Access database.
- Open up your Command Prompt as an administrator.
- now run the following command:
<path to database file> /decompile ex. C:\test.accdb /decompile
- Close the database and restart your PC.
- You can also, install the patch to resolve this issue.
Undoubtedly database corruption is worse than a nightmare for Access users. Losing important stuffs due to silly mistakes can be very frustrating. Fortunately, sometime users get lucky enough to repair or recover this data. Sometime third party software tool helps to rescue your database from fading away from existence. However, a better approach is to keep your Access Database aside of this problem just by implementing preventive measures to avoid the corruption.