Is your Access Database frequently displaying “Enter Parameter Value” dialog box each time you tries to execute any query, form, or report? Well if yes, then you must be thinking that how to resolve enter parameter value Access issue correctly without putting much of your effort and time.
To help you out from this sarcastic situation, we have stumbled down some important steps to resolve this particular Parameter Value Error in Access.
When opening my form I get an “enter Parameter Value” dialog box for a field that is no longer part of the form . This must be in a form query I am guessing; what is the quickest way to find out where it is looking for it?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Like this there are several users who are facing the similar Parameter Value Error in their respective Access Database. This error not actually comes in any specific version of Access Database. So, any Access Database user whether they are using any MS Access Version 2007/2010/2013/2016 may have the chances of getting encountered with this.
Before approaching towards the fixes… let’s start with the short intro on Parameter Value In Access and MS Access Parameter Query.
What Is Parameter Value In Access?
Sometime when we open an Access database objects like table, query, form, or report etc. which contains an identifier or expression and Access fails to interpret this. In that then case access shows an Enter Parameter Value dialog box.
For some case it seems helpful. Suppose for an example: creator of the database might have made a query which allows you to feed information every time the query runs. Like a start date or an employee ID number.
The shown figure gives you an idea about enter Parameter Value In Access dialog box. The dialog box of parameter value contains an identifier labeled on “Enter Employee ID”, a field to enter a value, OK and Cancel buttons.
If you hide this parameter value dialogue box by making changes in the design of your database. Then in that case, when you open any access database objects access popup with a dialog box message which you won’t understand.
Parameter Query is one such Access feature where the users give the criteria with which to filter the result.
Meanwhile running the parameter query, it asks you to enter a value. Once you give the value, it will continue running and uses this parameter value as part of filtering criteria.
Parameter value in Access is given by the user at run-time. So, a parameter can return different results based on the user’s input.
Symptoms Of Access Enter Parameter Value Error
This particular parameter value Access error usually encounters when anyone tries to run a report, form or a query. The Enter Parameter Value dialogue box may appear unexpectedly.
Cause Of Access Enter Parameter Value Error:
The main reason for the occurrence of this Enter Parameter Value Access error is that when a field, form, criteria, an expression, control in a query, or report; references a name that Access can’t find.
How To Remove Enter Parameter Value Error In MS Access?
If you want to remove this parameter value error in MS Access learn from this video. As, this video discusses on each and every steps on how to disable Access enter parameter values error.
You can take help from this video to fix enter parameter value in Access.
Fix Enter Parameter Value Error With Database Documenter Option
In order to resolve MS Access enter parameter value error, you need to rename the reference to a valid field name.
If you don’t have the idea where the reference is located actually. For this you need to run the Database Documenter for the object listed in the Enter Parameter Value dialog box and then output the information to a text file.
To perform this task, just follow down theses steps:
- If you are a user of Access 2002 And 2003, then follow down these steps:
- Form the tool menu, point to Analyze, and then click Documenter.
- Hit the tab which belongs to the type of database objects that you are looking for and then select of the check boxes of the query, the form, or the report that you have executed.
Note: if the object is either a form or a report, include all source queries and sub-forms or sub-reports in your list of choices.
- Click Options to specify which feature of the selected objects you need to print and then click OK.
- To close the Documenter dialog box tap to the OK option.
- From the File menu, tap to the Export option.
- Now from the Save as type list, tap to the Text Files. Other than this fill the complete remainder information as the requirement.
- Open the Exported file in MS Word and then search for the parameter requested in the Enter Parameter Value dialog box.
If you are an Access 2007 user then follow these steps:
- On the database tools tab, click Database Documenter in the Analyze
- Tap the tab which corresponds to the type of database object that you are looking for and then make a tick to the check boxes of the query, the form, or the report that you tried to execute. Note:if your access object is a form or a report; include all source queries and sub-forms or sub-reports in your selection list.
- Hit the options to specify the features of the selected objects you want to print and then click OK.
- To close the Documenter dialog box hit to the OK option.
- From the Data group, hit the Text File, and then complete the remainder of the information as much as required.
- Now you can open the exported file in MS Word and then search for the parameter that is requested in the Enter Parameter Value dialog box.
If in case you are unable to run the Database Documenter, make a check whether it’s an issue of missing reference. Usually it is seen that the most common missing reference is Utility.mda. To check for the missing reference, follow these steps:
- In the database window, click Modules under Objects. Note:
For Access 2007 users, click to the Database Tools tab; click Visual Basic, and then switch to step 3.
- Make selection of any existing module and then click design or insert new modules. This opens the Visual Basic Editor.
- From the Tools menu, click to the References option.
- Now from the Available References list, look for references that has “MISSING: “ text in front of the name. Tap to clear the check box.
Note: if you don’t require a reference to Utility.mda, switch to step 8.
- Tap to the Browse option.
- In the files of type list, hit the Add-ins (*.mda).
- Search for the folder which contains the Utility.mda, and then select it. After then hit to the Open tab option. By default, the file will be under the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033.
- Hit the OK option.
- From the Debug menu, tap to the Compile database name.
- On the file menu, hit the Close and Return to Microsoft Access.
How To Create A Parameter Query?
Here is the right way suggested on how to create a parameter query. So, have a look and try the following steps as and when you are required to create a parameter query in Access Database.
- First of all, you need to create a query as you would create any other query. Hit the Query Design from the Create tab in the Ribbon.
- Make selections for the table that you want to include in your query and then tap to Add option to add them to the query. Tap to Close option once you have added the tables.
- Add the fields you like to include in the query by making the double tap to them in the top pane. The filed comes to appear in the query pane below it.
- Now you need to assign parameter that the user will supply. You need to type the text between the square brackets  as this will appear as user prompt.
- The value which you feed will be used as the criteria against the specified field.
- Now hit the Run icon on the ribbon to run the query.
- Now it’s time to supply parameter, so enter a value at the prompt box.
- Results returned after the execution of the parameter query are completely based on the parameter supplied.
You can also make a try by running the query again after changing the parameter to see the changes.
Now you can easily fix Parameter Value Error in access on your own. But if in case you caught into situation like missing of queries or sudden corruption issue encountered in your access database then for such case just give it try to MS Access Repair And Recovery tool. As it’s the best recommended tool to get rid of any type of corruption issue encountered in Access Database.