Is your Access database is showing frequent error messages regarding “Could Not Update Record Locking“Error? Looking for some instant fixes to solve this?
If yes then you are at the right place as this tutorial is written with the main prospective of providing users with a solution to fix this particular Access Error 3218. So let’s fix it….!
We know that MS Access plays a very important role in maintaining a large amount of data in a sequential way, it is a very important application for small to mid-sized enterprises and also used by many individual business owners for maintaining and running their valuable information. But sometimes because of any minor or major corruption, you cannot access the stored information from the access database, this is a very dangerous situation for anyone because MS Access database corruption may harm its owner financially.
About MS Access “Could Not Update” Record Locking Errors
MS Access Database could not update, record locking issue occurs in a situation when two different users try to change the same record and at the same time in MS Access 2007/2010/2013/2016 database.
There are lots of reasons available that may affect the components of accdb file and damaged it, once it gets corrupted then it displays an error message like:
- Error 3218 “Could not update; currently locked.”
- Error 3197 “The database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.”
- Error 3260 “Couldn’t update; currently locked by user <name> on machine <name>.”
Don’t ignore any types of Access error because it can corrupt your database permanently when you get an error message from your MS Access file then immediately apply the best recommended manual procedure to fix the occurred issue. Well, in this article complete guide to fix MS Access error is given, apply them to make your database healthy.
Symptoms Of Access Run-Time Error 3218
The circumstances in which this particular Access record locking issue occurs is usually encountered at the time of simultaneously editing of a single database by multiple users. At that time a user encounters the following error message.
Could not update; currently locked.
Additionally, after making changes in a multi-valued field on form you move towards the table without saving the changes, the value is not updated. At that time when you try to modify the multi-valued field in the table, you will receive the following error:
Could not update; currently locked by another session on this machine.
Causes Of Access Error 3218 “Could not update; currently locked.”
MS Access run-time error 3218 occurs because of the attachment or multi-valued fields that use the pessimistic locking feature. This puts a lock on the fields until the record is committed.
You can make use of the record locks property to determine how records are locked and what happens when multi-users try to edit the same record at the same time.
So, when you set the records lock property to edited record, a page of the record is locked as whenever more than one user starts editing any fields in the record. This record page seems locked until the user moves to another record. Therefore, records can be edited only by a single user in one go. This feature is known as pessimistic locking.
OTHER IMPARTING REASONS ARE:
- Due to damaged components of database application.
- When a user tries to modify the record which has been locked by a user.
- Because of executing two or more instances of the Microsoft Access application on the same PC.
- The software is using page record locking and has gone beyond the 4K limit.
- The back-end software exists on a Novell Server and the utmost record locks have been gone beyond.
Ways To Fix Access Runtime Error 3218
To fix this Could Not Update Currently Locked MS Access error, commit the changes that you have done :
Method 1: Save the record
- Tap to the Home tab.
- Go to the Records, and click to the Save option.
Method 2: Refresh the record
- Tap to the Home tab.
- Within the Records, click Refresh All, and then click Refresh All or Refresh.
Method 3: Quick Fixes To Resolve Access Record Locking Error
- Make or Split the database into a Back-end and Front-end
- Place the Front-end software to every user’s local computer
- Allocate a Front-end MDE instead of an MDB
- Don’t requisite data entry forms to a multi-table query
- Reorganize tables to decrease the size of the records particularly Memo and OLE fields.
- Avoid running update queries on records that the users are at present modifying.
Method 4: To Fix The Corruption Issue:
- Repair the Back-end data file and Front-end application.
- Use the JetComp to restore a damaged database.
- De-compile the Front-end software to avoid corruption.
- You can also create a new blank database and import objects from the obtainable database into the new one.
Alternative Option To Fix Could Not Update Currently Locked MS Access error
You can get rid of this run-time error 3218 with the help of the above-given solution. But if the above-mentioned method doesn’t work to resolve the issue then it’s a sign that your database record is severely got corrupted or damaged somehow.
In this case, you to try a third-party application like MS Access Database Repair tool, such a tool can easily fix this type of Access error without the need for any previously created backup.
This tool is very easy to use so that you cannot need any extra knowledge to fix MS Access error. You can easily restore corrupted MDB file and all objects with the help of this tool.
So Apply it and get back your inaccessible database records with ease.
Step by Step Guide to Fix Error 3218 “Could Not Update” Record Locking Errors In MS Access
now you don’t need to deal with this Access “Could Not Update” Record Locking Errors(3218) anymore. As the above-mentioned fixes are best to resolve this error code.
So, try them off, and don’t forget to share your opinion with us.