This blog is completely dedicated to provide every pinch of information regarding MS Access Switchboard Manager. Such as, how to create or delete switchboard in Access 2007/2020/2013/2016/2019. You will also get easy ideas on how to fix MS Access Switchboard Manager missing issue.
What Is an Access Switchboard?
Access switchboard is a customized MS Access form which works great to simplify working style in Access database application.
Basically this form is called customized menu because it contains various user-defined commands. These user defined commands is then inserted in hyperlinks, labels, images, buttons etc. Tapping to which will invoke actions and automatically your tasks like forms opening, running queries or printing reports will get executed.
User can create an Access switchboard by using different manual methods. Or by the help of Microsoft Access Switchboard Manager.
Don’t worry as in this post you will also get complete idea on how to create switchboard in Access.
Just scroll down to this post…!
What Is The Purpose Of MS Access Switchboard?
MS Access switchboard mainly used to tie the entire objects which you have designed or created in your database with a single form. After creating switchboard in Access you don’t need to individually navigate for objects within the database Window.
User can also use this MS Access switchboard for their application interface. This will automatically simplifies the navigation of object that most of time gets hide behind the interface of your application.
MS Access switchboard example :
Suppose you want to open a form in Access. For this, firstly you need to switch to the Database Window then tab to the Forms tab. Then you can open the form.
But by using a command on the MS Access switchboard interface, in just one click you can open a form.
Making use of the button on the switchboard form replaces long steps to navigate for MS Access objects.
So, isn’t it a cool idea…!
How To Create A Switchboard In Access
- Tap to the down arrow present over Quick Access Toolbar. After then hit the More Commands option. Tapping to this will open the dialog box of Access Options along with the selected section of Quick Access Toolbar.
- Now in the combo box of Choose commands from, you have to choose the All Commands option.
- Choose the Switchboard Manager after then tap to the Add option. To save all your changes, just make tap on the OK
- From the Quick Access Toolbar, tap to the Switchboard Manager for opening up the tool.
You are asked for a confirmation to create switchboard in Microsoft Access. If you want to create then click “ yes”. This will create the Main Switchboard.
To this main switchboard you can add more switchboard commands or you can make a secondary switchboards.
For the creation of secondary switchboards, just make a tap on the New option. This will open the “Create New” dialog box.
Even though, you have created secondary switchboards. But still in each of the secondary switchboard you have the command to go back to the main switchboard.
- Assign name for the new switchboard you are making and then tap to the OK option.
MS Access will add your switchboard in the list of Switchboard Pages box. Here you can also add the name of all your secondary switchboards.
- Repeat from steps no. 5 to 6 for the creation of each secondary switchboard. After then tap to the Close option.
How To Edit Items In A Switchboard In Access
You may need to edit switchboard items for many reasons. Like for changing the execution style of command or for making modification in command label.
Whatever the reason is it’s important to have an idea of editing items in switchboard. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Tap to the Switchboard Manager from the Quick Access Toolbar.
- Now from the dialog box of Switchboard Manager, choose the switchboard you need to edit. After then tap to the Edit option.
- Choose the item of your switchboard you are willing to modify. After then any of the following task.
- Click to the “edit” option: for changing item’s text or for making modification in the execution of item’s command.
- Click Move Up or Move Down: to make changes in the order of arranging items in the switchboard.
- Click to the “delete” option: for deleting up an item from the switchboard.
- When all editing task on the switchboard items gets over, tap to the Close option.
How To Delete A Switchboard or Switchboard Item In Access
By using the Switchboard Manager you can delete switchboard in Access or deleting an item from the switchboard.
If you are deleting an Access switchboard, all the items present within the switchboard will also get deleted.
Here is the complete steps to delete MS Access switchboard :
- Tap to the Switchboard Manager from the Quick Access Toolbar.
- Now from the opened dialog box of Switchboard Manager, make selection for the switchboard you needs to delete.
- For deleting the complete switchboard jump to step no. 6.
- If you are deleting an item from the switchboard then open the switchboard having the item you want to delete.
- After then click the “edit”
- The next screen that gets opened on your screen is of “Edit Switchboard Page”.
- Now choose the items you want to delete.
- Tap to the Delete option and then hit the close option
How To Fix MS Access Switchboard Manager Missing Issue?
I know this is going to rub a few people the wrong way, but here it is: I still use the built-in Switchboard form/table that came with Access before Access 2010. I use the past tense “came” because it appears to not be available when creating new Acc2010 databases. Now, I can import a copy of the form and a table from another older database, but there’s no Switchboard Manager to easily set up the buttons.
So, I guess my question is a two-partner:
1. Is the Switchboard Manager still around, just hiding? Where can I find it?
2. Has anyone created their own version of the Switchboard Manager form? I mean, I’ve used it often enough that I could probably duplicate it with a few hours of coding, but I’d rather not, if someone has already done so.
Just want to avoid going directly in the Switchboard Items table and manually editing the data there if I can help it.
If you are also conquering the same issue like Switchboard manager not working or Access Switchboard manager missing. Then check out the fixes mentioned in our next section:
Step to fix MS Access Switchboard Manager Missing Issue?
- Firstly you have to customize the ribbon bar and also add an icon of ‘Switchboard’ using the Access Options.
- Now from the opened Access Options screen, choose the section and the hit the ‘All Commands’ button to see all the available list of all icons.
- You can also make new group within recent group of ‘Database Tools’ and name it as ‘Administrator’. You have the option to set icon for it too.
Now just drag n drop the ‘Switchboard Manager’ icon within the new group.
- Close and get back to the main Window of MS Access database. Now in the tab of ‘Database Tools’ you will see that a new icon and section will appear.
- Now you can use the switchboard manger tool in the same way it is used before. You can make check of its functionality by operating it.
You all must use this smart switchboard manager tool for creating easy-to-use navigation with so many options.
If you are a VBA programmer, then creating a customized interface with switchboard not only minimize your effort. But also show how impactful Access databases application is.