Are you not able to open your MS Access MDB files? Is your MS Access 2003 Access database (.mdb) files got corrupted? Are you looking for easy solutions to fix corrupt or error throwing MDB files? If “Yes” then you have landed on the right web page.
In this post we are going to discuss about how to repair MDB files with Compact and Repair and if it fails that what you should do to fix the corruption.
Just like other database files, MS Access database files also not able to defend themselves and gets corrupted due to several reason. It doesn’t matter how much we try to protect it, the Microsoft Access Database Files gets corrupted i.e, MDB files as well.
MDB file is a file extension that is used by MS Access 2003 and earlier version. Access 2003 and all earlier version store and save the data in MDB file format.
Reasons That Are Responsible For MDB File Corruptions
The corruption in MDB file is very much common and when it gets corrupted then it starts to throw several known and unknown error messages. There are lots of factors that are responsible for the corruption in MDB files and mentioning all of them is impossible, so some of the most common cause are:
- Improper Exit or Closing of The Application: If somebody is using the MDB files or your Access database is just open and all of a sudden the application gets closed or shutting down the system without closing the application could result in database corruption.
- Virus Infection: Virus and malware are one of the major reasons that is responsible for corrupting and damaging the entire files/folders stored within the computer including MDB files.
You Might Also Be Interested In:
- File Size: As day passes by, Access database files keeps on accumulating and thereby the size of the file grow quickly. Due to this MDB files exceeds its storage limits and hence the MDB files gets corrupted or damaged.
- Other Reasons: The other reasons could be software malfunction, faulty hardware, interrupted (broken) write operation, sudden system shutdown or power failure while MDB database was open, etc might result in MDB corruptions.
Error Messages That Shows MDB File is Corrupt
When database gets corrupt, then it does not respond properly as you want them to. Moreover, the data that is used by application also fails to respond properly. Well, when such situation occurs then it starts throws several error messages and some of the common error messages are mentioned below:
- The database is in an unexpected state.
- Unrecognized database format ‘path/filename.mdb.’
- The database ‘filename.mdb’ needs to be repaired or is not a database file.
Beside above mentioned error messages there are other several error messages that MDB files throws while reading the corrupt MS Access database.
Fixes to Repair Corrupt MS Access (.mdb) Database File
Since, you have now understood that corrupt database file does not work and function properly and it starts to throw several error messages. So, if you really want to bring back Access database back to its original state, you have to repair MDB files. Below find out the two effective solutions that will help you to repair damaged/corrupted MDB files.
Delete .LDB file
When an Access database is opened by Access or the jet database engine a new file with extension .ldb is get created. Well this file is basically used to synchronizing multi-user file operations and therefore it doesn’t require any repair. If you can’t delete the .ldb file then the chances are more that a users or program is still logged into the database. You should close all open instances of MsAccess.exe using the windows task manager and also close any software that could be logged into the database. If you still can’t delete the .ldb file, try restarting the PC in which the database is stored.
What To Do When Compact and Repair Utility Does Not Work?
Well, if above solution fails, then you can take help of effective MDB File Repair Tool. One of such professional and effective software is MS Access Repair And Recovery Tool which is particularly designed to repair and recover damaged, corrupted or error throwing MS Access database (MDB) files. This tool has the capability to repair severely corrupted database file and recover each and every bits of data such as tables, records, relations, queries, indexes, memo and all other database objects and saves the repaired database in to anew MDB files. This software is compatible with all versions of MS Access applications and repairs and recovers both MDB & ACCDB files. Below find out step by step guide on how to repair corrupt MDB files.
You Might Also Be Interested In:
- Compact and Repair Utility to Fix MS Access 2016 (.accdb) Database File
- 5 Easy Solutions To Repair Corrupt MS Access 2007 Database
- How to Repair MS Access Database when “the compact and repair operation has been cancelled” error occur?
- How to Recover Corrupt Databases on Access Server Without Losing Any Data
Steps to Repair Corrupt MDB files, When Compact & Repair Utility Does Not Work
Step 1 – Download and install the MS Access Database Repair software. After installing, select the corrupt Access file for repairing by clicking on “Select file”.
Step 2: This software will give you the list of all searched file in a drive. Select the file you want to repair and click on “Repair” button.
Step 3: The repairing process will start as you see in the image below and you can see the log report for detailed analysis.
Step 4: Once the repairing process completes, click on “OK” button to see the preview of the database objects.
Step 5: You can now see the preview of the repaired file.
Step 6: The tool will save repaired database by default to the location where the corrupted database was saved but it will rename the file. However, you can select your own desired location to save repaired database.
Step 7: Once you select the desired location you can then see that saving is under process.
Step 8: Finally, saving completed.
Normally, we all users first try the free method (such that using compact & repair utility) to fix the corrupt MDB files. But, if in case the corruption still remains or the free solution does not work, then in such case you can use MS Access Database Repair Tool.