This blog emphasizes on one very frequently encountered error i.e Access Database File Is Open In Another Program.
Even though you haven’t opened your Access database file in any program if this error is frequently annoys you then you must try all the listed fixes of this blog post.
How To Fix Access Database File Is Open In Another Program Error?
Here are some best applicable fixes that may help you to address this File Is Open In Another Program problem.
1# Preview Panel Disabling
In many cases it is seen that action can’t be completed because the file is open in another program error also occurs when someone makes use of the preview panel.
Undoubtedly this preview panel feature is a very helpful one. But sometimes it may put you in a troublesome situation like the one you are currently facing.
So to fix this issue, you are recommended to disable the preview pane completely. Here are the steps to perform this task:
- At first, you need to open the file explorer. For this you have to press the Windows +E button from your keyboard.
- After that, make a tap over the view tab. But make sure that you haven’t selected the preview panel.
Now you will see that the preview panel is disabled and you can make changes in your file without an issue in.
Alternative, for quick disabling of the preview Pane just press Alt + p button from your keyboard.
This workaround will definitely help you to stop this Access database file is open in another program problem.
2# Look For Access Database File In Task Manager
- For this you need to open the Task Manager in your PC by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc buttons from your keyboard.
- In the open window of the Task manager switch to the Processes tab, this will display the entire applications that are currently running on your PC.
- Make selection of the Access database file in which you are frequently getting this error. Now hit the end task option which is present at the bottom of your screen. Doing this will stop that particular file execution from all the programs.
3# Restart File Explorer Through Task Manager
- Open the task manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc buttons from your keyboard and switch to the process tab.
- Scroll down till you get the Window Explorer Make a right-click over it and hit the End task button.
- Now hit the file tab and Run new task.
- In the open window you have to type explorer.exe and then press enter.
- This whole process will restart your Windows Explorer which ultimately resolves any type of problem that is raised in the cache file or memory section.
- One more time you need to go to the file tab and then delete it.
4# Disable Thumbnail’s Caching
Recently Microsoft has also admitted that thumbnail caching of folders/files causes errors like “file is open in another program”. To resolve this issue you need to turn off the caching of the thumbnail in hidden thumbs.db file.
- Hit the Win + R button from your keyboard.
- In the opened Run window you have to type msc, and then press the Enter button.
- Now follow this path: “User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> File Explorer.”
- Move to the right pane and make a double click over the option “Turn off the caching of thumbnails in hidden thumbs.db files.
- Choose the previous setting option and then hit the ok.
- After doing this, the entire thumbnail which is present in the file explorer will now go disabled. so now you can do any action which you want to do with your Access database file.
- For re-enabling caching instead of choosing previous settings you need to choose the not configured.
5# Temporary Files Deletion
Temp file Automatically gets created on your PC each time when you modify any file.
It is seen that due to the presence of these temporary files users may face problems like moving or deleting their respective files.
To clear up this temporary file from your PC’s storage follow down these steps.
- Hit the Win + R button from your keyboard.
- In the opened Run window you have to type %temp% , and then press the Enter button.
- Now you will get the list of all the temporary files that are stored in the file explorer.
- Select them all by pressing CTRL+A button and then press the delete.
6# Disable Thumbnails By Changing The Performance Options
Apart from disabling the thumbnail caching you have the option to disable thumbnails by making some modifications in the performance option.
Here are the steps that you need to follow for disabling the thumbnail:
- Hit the Windows Key + S from your keyboard this will open the advanced system settings. Now from the appearing list choose the View advanced system settings.
- Now you have to go to the Advanced>performance section and make a tap over the settings.
- In the opened window of performance options you have to untick the option ”Show thumbnails instead of icons”.
- Hit apply and then the ok.
After complete disabling of the thumbnails, once more try to access your database file so as to get confirmed whether the error has been resolved or not.
7# Scan Viruses In The Folder
If all the above methods fail to work then the problem may have originated due to the virus intervention in the folder. If your file is associated with the virus then it will hinder you from making any changes in your file.
So run some reliable and professional antivirus software for easy scanning and removal of virus from your PC.
8# Open Application In Safe Mode Through CMD
Here are the steps that you need to start your application in a safe mode.
- Go to the start menu and hit the power keep pressing the shift key and choose the restart option.
- After that follow this path: Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and hit the Restart.
- Once the PC restarts you will see a list of options start appearing on your screen.
- From the menu you have to choose Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt option.
- After getting into the safe mode you will see that the command prompt will automatically get started.
- To open the command prompt to navigate the problematic file and then make changes into it.
Always remember that command prompt is an advanced tool. If you are not so sure about the syntax of using it then it’s better not to use it. Otherwise it will havoc your whole PC.
9# Clear The Recycle Bin
If you are frequently getting Access database file open in another program error then clearing out the recycle bin will definitely going to work.
Maybe it sounds like a weird solution to you but many users claim that clearing the recycle bin worked to resolve this.
Follow Down the steps to empty the recycle bin:
- On your desktop there is an icon of a recycle bin, you just need to make a right click over it.
- Choose the Empty Recycle Bin.
Once the recycle bin gets empty you are not going to get the file open in another program error.
This is not a permanent solution as the error will start appearing when files will get added to the recycle bin.
In order to stop the addition of the file in the recycle bin again, you have to use the Shift + Delete button altogether.
10# Stop Sharing For The Problematic Folder
Action Cannot Be Completed Because The File is Open in Another Program error also occurs that specific file is being shared with some other users.
So to fix this, you are advised to immediately stop sharing the folder and make a check whether it resolved the issue or not.
Below here is the complete steps to perform this task:
- Search for the files or folder in which you are frequently getting this Access database file is open in another program error.
- Make a right-click over it and then from the menu select the Share with > Stop sharing option.
Once you stop the sharing of the file, you will be able to delete, move or rename your file without occurrence of any error.
11# Make Sure That The File Isn’t Set To Read-Only
If your file is set to read only mode then also chances of getting this error gets high.
To fix this error, you have to disable the read only mode. For this, just follow down the below given procedure :
- Browse the problematic file and then make a right-click over it. Choose the Properties option from the menu.
- Switch to the General tab and then in the Attributes section uncheck the Read-only option.
- Hit the apply and then ok button.
After doing all these changes now you can easily modify your access database files/folders without any issue.
FAQ(Frequently Asked Question):
In this article, I tried my best to provide all information related to the Access database file is open in another program error.
Make sure to follow all the instructions one by one until you fix the problem. All the above solutions are well tested and easy to perform.
Besides this if your Access database file is got damaged or corrupted and due to which you are completely unable to access it. To get yourself out this cumbersome situation, you should try Access database repair & recovery tool.
With this professional tool, you can make easy recovery of all your lost access database data. Apart from this if your data is lost due to the occurrence of some corruption issue in the table then also this tool works very efficiently.
Apart from this, if you have any questions related to this article, then feel free to contact us on our official Facebook page.