Does your Access Database opening but not allowing you to perform any operation on your database file? Well this issue may be because of the Partial Corrupted Access File. Do you know why this situation arising or how to fix it?
If not then also need not to worry because this post will help you in getting the complete information regarding the Partial Corrupted Access File. Beside that the blog also explore the steps to repair partially corrupted Access .mdb/.accdb file.
So, what are you waiting for..! just have a look over the complete post and resolve corrupt Access Database file on your own.
I have an Access 2007 file that appears to have become corrupted during a compact and repair. It’s partially corrupt because I can still open it but most of the tables now believe that they are system tables. I am unable to open or link to these tables. When I try I get an error message telling me that “Could not read definitions, no read definitions permission for…”. Any ideas on how to recover this file?
What Is A Partially Corrupted Access File Means?
Partially corrupted Access File denotes the condition in which a particular MS Access file suddenly becomes inoperable or unusable. If a file loses data, or it get closed all of a sudden or it get affected by the virus, then the chances raises high for partial Access database file corruption. In this situation your Access file gets open successfully but you are unable to make any changes in it.
What Is Accdb Or Mdb File Format?
Microsoft Access is most famous and globally used database application. MS Access is a part of the Microsoft Office Suite. It is used by almost all big and small organization for storing information. It is used for both small and large database deployments. Just because of its user friendly interface that is very easy to use, as well as its compatibility with other applications and platforms like Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) and Microsoft’s own SQL Server database engine.
MS Access allow clients to create reports, questions, tables, structures, macros and VBA models execute both burden/section (front-end) and maintain back-end reports. In fact, MS Access saves to entire information in ACCDB and MDB file format.
Access 2007/2013/2016/2019 uses the .accdb file format. While the later version of Access database supports MDB format. Below here is the short intro on both these file format. The Accdb file format is recommended choice when working in Access.
MDB File Format :
Mdb is database file format which is based on access jet database engine. Using this file format Access can import or link to data from other applications like, Excel, SharePoint lists, text, XML, Outlook, and HTML. MDB format can also be opened by OpenOffice.org, Wolfram Mathematica, Softpedia MDB Converter¸ SAS Institute SAS and Microsoft Visual Studio 2010.
ACCDB File Format:
The new format supports functionality that is not available in Access 2003 and earlier. Specifically, the ACCDB format allows you give following benefits:
- This file format allows you to store file attachments and other binary objects (or BLOBs) in database fields.
- Outlook and SharePoint both block in MDB database because of the security concerns. Upgradation in database security model allows for security validation of database files.
- ACCDB file users leverage the windows Cryptographic API for database encryption. This feature is helpful for avoiding identity theft.
However, there are several circumstances where .mdb file gets corrupted and in such cases you need to repair and recover it so that you can continue with your work without any interruption. So, now the question is how to repair the corrupted .mdb file? Well, we will come to that point but before that let us know what are the various common reasons behind the partial corruption of .mdb/accdb files?
What Makes The .Mdb/Accdb Files To Get Partially Corrupt?
Well there are lots of factors that imparts to MS Access Database files corruption and damaging like issues. Once the Access database gets damaged then user gets unable to access the stored information or manage the database properly.
Access files being exited improperly:
While you are working on MS Access and suddenly MS Access application get closed due to some reasons such as power failure, then .mdb files can easily get corrupted.
This is one of the prime reasons that can easily corrupt any data that is stored in computer, including MS Access database files.
Failure of the hard disk:
When this happens then it is possible that your computer data including Access Database may get harm and thus make them inaccessible. The hard disk failure generally happens due to physical and logical problems.
Due to improper synchronization of data:
One can easily sync .mdb file into two or more devices. But in cases where data synchronization does not completed properly then it might result in data corruption.
Jet database engine plays very important role in sharing Access data with multiple users. Jet engine synchronizes read/write database using lock files (.ldb). These lock file associate with Windows API and are very much responsible for synchronization, relying upon the FTP.
If there is bulk of data transfer in same network, it will make the jet communication quiet slow. It leads to “suspect” mode & end up to corruption issue.
Sometime installation of plug-in in MS Access also leads to corruption issue.
When some task is executing in the system and suddenly it shuts down. Then this also leads to corruption issue.
Other than this there are numerous causes of Access database corruption. But as our main motive is to provide you with the best manual methods to fix a damaged or error showing MS Access database. So, let’s discuss about that first.
What Error Comes After The Access Database Corruption?
Here are some most common error messages that appear after the MS Access Database Corruption:
- Unrecognized Database Format.(Ensure you are using the correct version of Access)
- The database is in an unexpected state.
- MS Access 3159 – Not A Valid Bookmark Error
- The database ‘mdb’ needs to be repaired or isn’t a database file.
- Access Database Cannot Be Opened Because The Vba Project Contained In It Cannot Be Read
- MS Access Write Conflict: Record Has Been Changed By Another User Error
- The Microsoft Jet Database Engine could not find object Msys*/databases.
- Access Form Not Updating Table
- Access Runtime Error 3044: Not A Valid Path
- Microsoft Access “Cannot Find The Referenced Form” (Error 2450)
- Access Runtime Error 3847: “ODBCDirect Is No Longer Supported” In Windows 7/8/10 PC?
How To Repair And Restore Corrupted .MDB/.Accdb File?
Well If your MS Access database file (.mdb) is corrupt or damaged then you can follow the below methods to repair mdb file or access file repair and recover data from it successfully:
Solution 1: Compact and Repair
As the first option for fixing up the partially corrupted Access Database file you can use the In-Built Compact and Repair database utility that comes along with MS Access. In most of cases this utility comes handy in fixing the Corrupted/Damaged Access Database file.
To run the Access database inbuilt utility tool Compact and Repair, just follow down the complete steps:
- If database is already open then close it.
- Now go to the tools menu, point to the Database Utilities and check Compact and Repair Database.
- In database to compact from the dialog box, choose the file that you need to compact and then click to the Compact.
- In Compact Database into dialog box, enter a new file name and then tap to the Save.
- If the compacted and repair doesn’t succeed, you will get a message stating so. This indicates the severe damage of your Access Database file and it can’t correct with this compact and repair tool.
Solution 2: Open your Access document ‘safe mode’
Starting Access in ‘Safe Mode’ avoids various issues as it open Access without using some startup programs. you have the option to use the ‘safe mode’ and open Access in the mode by pressing and holding the ‘CTRL’ key when starting this program. Make use of the ‘Access.exe/safe’ option if you are starting the program from command line.
Solution 3: Try to Import Corrupt Database into new MS Access Database
1: Create a fresh database file, click External Data tab on the top.
2: Click Access to import Access database.
3: A new window will appeared with the name of Get External Data – Access Database. In this window, click on the Browse button and choose the Access database file to import.
4: After it, browse and choose the Access database file in the File Open dialog box. Click Open for confirmation and then, click on OK to continue the process.
5: Choose the object in the Import Objects dialog box and then, click OK.
6: Check Save import steps box and click Close.
Solution 4: Turn off AutoCorrect feature
Apply the below steps to disable this option:
How to turn off AutoCorrect feature in MS Access 2010?
Navigate to File-> Options-> Current Database and unselect all option (check under Name AutoCorrect Options).
How to turn off AutoCorrect feature in MS Access 2007?
Navigate to the Access logo-> Access Options and uncheck the Track Name Autocorrect Info.
How to turn off AutoCorrect feature in MS Access 2000, 2002, and 2003?
Navigate to the Tools-> Options-> General and un-check all options.
How To Repair Partially Corrupt/Damaged MS Access Database Files Automatically?
Last but not the least solution is to use MS Access Repair and Recovery tool. If the In-Built utility fails to repair corrupt Access database file then in such cases you can opt for MS Access Repair and Recovery tool. Making use of this software tool is the best option as it is the high end user friendly software that repairs damaged Access database accdb/mdb safely and securely. It is particularly designed to detect the corruption, fix them and restore the data back, safely and securely.
It not only does .mdb file repair but it also works for .accdb file repair and retrieves the data from your corrupted MS Access database. This tool work on almost all version of Windows operating system such as Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/7/8/8.1.
Moreover, it incorporates several features that are as follows:
- Restores form and modules even though it is password encrypted.
- Recover linked tables, modules, forms, tables, indexes, reports, queries, relations, deleted records, and macros.
- Provides ‘Find’ feature to search for objects in the repaired database.
- Supports MS Access 2010/2013/2016 and other older versions.
- Works well with all OS VERSION 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, 2003 & XP.
How To Avoid Access Database From Corruption?
To avoid the corruption of Access database file, you need to pay much attention to some important tips and follow the below mentioned suggestions.
- Keep checking all the networking accessories on regular basis in order to avoid MS Access corruption.
- Properly shut down Access applications.
- Avoid accessing of multiple users on same database file or opt for split database method for reducing the load on server.
- Avoid using the third party plug-ins as much as you can.
MS Access indeed gets corrupted sometime but there is no need to get worried for it. Just apply the above described methods to avoid and prevent MS Access database corruption for various errors. Well the aforementioned software tool will help you in easy fixing of the Access errors without wasting any time. It also repairs, recover and restore Access Database file of 2010/2007/2016 or below version.